TPO (Thermoplastic Polyfins) systems is well known because its structure is quite durable and resistant to tears, impacts and puncture damage. TPO roofing is also known for being thermal resistant which allows building owners to considerably reduce heating or cooling costs relative to their particular climate. TPO membranes are offered in a variety of colors and thicknesses from their respective manufacturers.
Compared to EPDM roofing systems that use splice tape to make the seams waterproof, TPO systems use seams that are “welded” with hot air. When done correctly, it creates a strong and solid seal of the overlapping membranes into effectively a single membrane by welding them together with a steady stream of hot air.
Generally speaking, TPO systems if properly installed require very minimal maintenance over its lifetime. However, there are some factors that may cause your roof to require more maintenance such as the climate in your area, moisture, organic or non-organic debris and the amount of foot traffic on the roof.
Pros of TPO Roofing:
– Low Maintenance
– Thermal Resistant
– Energy Efficient
– Long Lasting
Cons of TPO Roofing:
– Improper or Bad Installation Increases Occurrence of Failure
– Low Quality Roofing Material Increases Occurrence of Failure
There are other details you need to know about TPO roofing such as thickness and how the membrane is mounted on your roof. Additionally, do your research, browse and ask around for pricing and the best deals as well as warranties you can find before you decide on a particular TPO roofing solution because the market nowadays is quite competitive and costs can vary quite considerably.
Already installed a TPO roofing system? Here are a few general maintenance tips to help keep you roof in top condition.
- Create a record or log of repair history and inspection dates
- Have your facilities manager or a qualified roofing contractor inspect your roof at least twice a year
- Inspect your roof for damage after a strong storm or hail
- As much as you can, minimize the amount of foot traffic on the roof
- If you notice any debris on the roof, remove them